August 2015 - November 2015
Reason for project:
A group of medical researchers from the university wanted an app to ensure clinicians are supported in the care of a trauma patient and can meet the needs of the specific traumatically injured patients. Using lean-UX approach, our role was to gather requirements from stakeholders, create hi-fidelity mobile and desktop wireframes that could be passed on to developers.
1) Gather requirements
Not being in the medical field we had no idea what we were doing or what anything meant. We began by gathering requirements and clarifying medical terms from the project manager and the co-founder of the to-be app. This was one done via interviews on the research groups Slack channel. As we only had 2 months for the project we had to skip user requirements gathering with the end-users for now and move on to design.
2) Lo-fi design
The project manager then sent us a list of screens to produce with examples of lo-fidelity mobile wireframes done in Balsamiq. Still not quite understanding the "why" of the interface, we asked more questions to the co-founder who knew the audience well enough to clarify the purpose of the design and the terminology used. In this intense period of learning, we become trauma nurses in less than a week.
3) Hi-fi design
Once it appeared enough requirements had been gathered, we began the hi-fidelity mockups in Photoshop and sent them back to the project manager for approval.
4) Send off
There were some amends to make, for example, we removed social media links from the login screen, as ultimately they served no purpose with a nurse treating a patient, and only cluttered the login screen with distractions. The result was much a cleaner, simpler interface with less decisions to be made.
4,180 registered nurses (46%), doctors (31%) and paramedics (16%) use the app 6%
79% of surveyed users felt that using the app contributed to positive patient outcomes.
The project is an old one and is ultimately lesson in UX that becomes too lean. This was a rather large app spanning 22 pages where the experience had to be as tight and efficient as possible due to high-speed/intense nature of the trauma nurses work. With more time, we could have spent additional effort adapting the latest UI knowledge we had to the visual interface. Additionally, we could have got feedback from the same end users (trauma nurses), and identify any further pain points in the current design. However the stakeholders seemed happy design at the time, the purpose was to essentially to get something out there quickly and iterate later, and in this circumstance, the results of the project suggest the research team had enough user information to make design decisions.